Thursday, April 15, 2021

Dreams and memories.....

 It's odd the things you remember.  Dates.  Times.

On April 15, 1994, as a junior in high school, I asked somebody on a date. Spent days working up the guts to do it. Finally got up the courage, and asked.  And she thought I was joking, and laughed.  I was demolished in that way that only teenagers are demolished.  I laughed along, acting like I was indeed joking about such things.  Saved whatever face i was looking to save in 1994.  I guess.

I've written about it before, and the person who I asked figured out that it was her I was referring to.  She got ahold of my number through friends and called me to apologize.  That's been more than 10 years ago.  We're cool.  We were cool way before that, but it was still decent of her to call.

Being a teenager is hard.  I work with teenagers, and I have to remind myself of that at least 3 times a week, right after I've talked myself out of pitching a 16-year-old through a plate glass window.

That said, being a grownup isn't much easier. 27 years later, and that one still sneaks into anxiety dreams on occasion......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home