Friday, October 31, 2003

Curveballs

I'm rambling, here. I'm bored. Somebody needs to come entertain me. NBA Basketball sucks, dude.

Just wanted to post a link to the Straight Dope concerning the curvature and curvation of a curveball in flight.

And I wanted to relate a story from grade school. We had a teacher. I won't name her name. But she was quite the ignorant woman.

In fact, she was the first grownup that I told myself I was smarter than.

We had a really big dust up concerning the creation of Israel. I'm was a dork. I still am. And I'd read ahead in the history book.

And somehow the creation of Israel came up during class discussion. This teacher said that Israel didn't become a country until the early 60's. And I corrected her. (I was about 12 at the time, and she was in her 40's). And there was a long, protracted argument that contained her telling me that I need to study history as long as she had before correcting her, and it ended with my saying she should have actually read the history while studying it.

It was actually the worst (and almost the only) dustup between a teacher and me in my scholastic career.

The only others were: a little thing in gym where we played nothing but volleyball for the entire school year, and I started refusing to play because I wasn't any good at volleyball and wanted to play softball or football or anything else.

And the other was about curveballs with my biology teacher in high school. It was a long, protracted debate that carried over most of the spring semester between the teacher, who said the the balls didn't curve, and a couple of us in the class who did.

We won the debate with my friend Jeff's copy of Physics of Baseball.

And both of us got bumped up a letter grade.

We never held it against him. A.) He was a biology teacher, not a physics teacher; and B.) he was a football coach...what business did he have commenting on baseball?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home