Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Cold Mountain

The roommate and I went to see Cold Mountain this afternoon. It's a fairly faithful adaptation of Charles Frazier's novel, and quite a good movie. If there's one thing it carries over from the novel that perhaps it shouldn't have, is that it sometimes takes 15 minutes for something to happen when it could have been done in 12. Sometimes, things are just slow to develop.

But on the whole, I enjoyed it. Big props to director Anthony Minghella and to Renee Zellwegger, for playing Ruby Thewes right on the nose. She's my favorite character, and Zellwegger played her pretty well how I read her in the book....although it's odd how you see something or someone in your head when you read it....even though the age wouldn't be right, I had some version of Kathy Bates in my head when reading Ruby.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's Reverend Veasey's also quite good.

It's got me wanting to go back and re-read the novel.

A good movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home