Saturday, October 15, 2005

Crash

Crash

Mostly I've been using my Netflix account for TV stuff, here lately. Finding a couple of hours to sit with a movie's gotten a little harder lately. I can watch an episode of a sitcom as I get ready for work in the morning, or an episode of an hour-long show as I get ready for bed at night. I just went through the whole Fawlty Towers set, which I'd never actually seen. At night, I've been watching old episodes of Quantum Leap.

Movies? Kinda few and far between. I watched Dave last weekend. It was just one of those I'd meant to see, but had missed.

This weekend, I watched another one.

Gotta recommend Crash. I wasn't digging it at first. Everybody seemed to be fairly one dimensional. But there was something there that sucked me in. Nice ensemble. Good stuff from Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton, especially.

A couple of random thoughts, which hopefully won't spoil much.

I didn't figure out that it was Marina Sirtis playing the wife of the Persian shopkeeper. Had to see it on the movie database.

Don Cheadle is one of my favorite actors. This was not one of his strongest performances overall, in my mind, but the final scene, when his mother credits his brother with something he's done...Don gives her a look that kills.

William Fitchner. He's a guy whose name I could never remember. I don't remember where I saw him first, but it was probably an appearance on the TV show Grace Under Fire. I can remember the first time I recognized him as having seen him somewhere else. It was in Contact, where he plays Kent, the blind astronomer. He'd later show up in Armageddon, and Go, and The Perfect Storm. But he's friggin' hilarious in Drowning Mona, and it was that performance that made me look him up. Anyway. He shows up here.

I had to laugh at the whole scene where the carjacker played by Ludacris goes on a rant running down hip hop....

The only performance that rang hollow for me was Sandra Bullock's. And I can't put a real reason on it, except that I've always put her on my list of favorite comedic actors. She's one of the best physical comedians on the screen, male or female. I credit her with not wanting to be pigeonholed as an actress, but it irks me to see somebody not follow their talents. I mean, a comedian who thinks it's not a gift to make somebody laugh should watch carefully any time a dramatic actor stumble through what should be a comedic performance...Robert De Niro, I'm talking to you....

Anyway. I liked this one quite a bit. I give it a thumbs up. Three thumbs up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home