Friday, January 13, 2012

Bypass

My Dad had bypass surgery today. He came through with flying colors. The surgeon was pleased with the relative ease of the procedure, which finished without too many surprises and without major complications. My Dad will fight another day.

Scary, stressful day. I'd been told over and over just what to expect when we finally did see him after surgery. Nothing prepares you for having to see your Dad intubated, with all manner of drip drains and wires coming out of him.

Nothing prepares you to see him in that discomfort.

I won't get up too much on the soapbox, except to say: lay off all the shit you eat, exercise a bit more, and if you smoke, please stop. And I say that as Offender #1.

Nothing prepares you.

Time to get my own house in order there, too.

Still. He is alive. And I am thankful beyond my capacity for words to express it.

Stressful, but not a bad day. I remember why I like do my family. I remember that I do work with good people who do care a lot. And I remember that, by little more than dumb luck, I have surrounded myself with a tremendous group of friends.

And I get to keep my Dad around for a while longer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elisson said...

Here's to your Dad's speedy and complete recovery.

My Dad had bypass surgery 12 years ago this week following a heart attack that literally stopped his heart in the middle of a racquetball game. It gave him a new lease on life. A few months later, he was back on the court, kicking the crap out of guys 30 years younger.

Modern medicine has its scary aspects, but it is amazing what the good doctors can accomplish... especially with a patient who has the support and love of family and friends.

All the best to you and yours.

10:27 PM  
Blogger alice said...

Whew. You've had a rough week. Take it slow and easy, all of you...

9:39 PM  
Blogger KeesKennis said...

Hi Tommy
Seeing the results of surgery is hell on all of us outside the theatre.
I have done a few emergency opps in my time and they are worse.
In any case:
I am hitting 200,000 visits in the next 20 hours or so.
If you’re no is no 200,000 I will spend a whole post slagging you and why you should not be the next president. Now that is worth more than 200,000 of Sierra Leone, leones.
So as they say in Chicago and Freetown, visit soon and visit again and again.

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home