Monday, November 07, 2016

Also...Cubs?

I realized I haven't written on the Blogamathing about the Cubs winning the World Series.

Dying hobby, and whatnot.

I watched Game 7 at home.  By myself.  Because, frankly, I wasn't fit to be around people.  We watched Games 3 and 4 over at Eric's, and I was piss poor company for each of those games.

Relief, is what I felt that night, and still feel.  Finally.  Happiness.  Goofiness.  But relief.

I think Bill Murray's picture here illustrates that.


I wrote this over on ye olde facebooke:


"I don't think it'll hit me until tomorrow. I'm just kinda goofy right now.
That 7-year-old who started watching the Cubs after school around the same time he started playing tee-ball didn't understand that train he was getting on. He definitely didn't understand that watching the ball shoot between Leon Durham's legs in 1984 was one of a handful of heartbreaks that would break up years-long droughts.
I don't know why I hung on. Except for some weird wiring for loyalty in my innards.
Folks would ask, after the much needed rebuilding started, how I thought they would do, especially after their run in 2015. I've never been a "they're gonna win it all!" guy. Call it a flaw in my personality, call it an unwillingness to put all the eggs in a basket. Call it having seen what happens when you believe too hard. Call it knowing how that hurts, even if it is just a game....
All I would ever admit was that 2016 was going to be an interesting year.
It was a helluva ride. And that little curly-headed kid finally got to see his team win the Big One.
Game 7 was for the kid in all of us, though. With a little distance, that may have become the best game I've ever seen, regardless of outcome. I think it's safe in the catbird seat now, given the win...
My hat's off to Cleveland. They deserved it, too. And I believe they'll get one sooner rather than later.


It was fantastic.  I stayed up until 3, just watching stuff.  I slept nearly nine hours.  Maybe the best night of sleep I've gotten in a month.

I've been riding that Cubs train since 1984.  And like I said, I don't know why I stayed, except for that wiring for loyalty in my noggin

It was amazing.  And today, five days after, I still get a smile when I think about it.

I expect I will all offseason.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home