Wednesday, April 30, 2003

This post is not about wrestling. Much. Skip over the next couple of paragraphs if you don't care about wrestling.

I realize that I talk too much about professional wrestling around here. So I won't linger on the fact that tonight's NWA-TNA show was among the promotion's strongest. The Amazing Red/Kid Kash match was probably the best match of the night, with strong efforts put in during the opening 4-way tag match and the 4-way X-Division elimination match.

The ending blew, with Jeff Jarrett retaining the NWA World Title over Raven. The Jarretts have ridiculous stake within the company. Jeff seems to have a problem putting people over. In fact, after getting beaten down with his hands cuffed behind him, he still comes back to get the win. It's poor storytelling, in my view, to build himself up as a superman.

But I digress.

My issue this lovely spring evening is with those folks who do silly things. Silly, and irritating things.

People who buy front row seats to a wrestling match, probably one of the more important shows in Nashville's recent history. But people who can't be bothered to actually watch the show. People who decide to get up and leave in the middle of the main event.

Perhaps it's that I don't have the money to burn. But from the Sylvester the Cat shirt with the phrase "Don't make me angry" written on it one of the group wore, I'm not guessing these folks are doing their shopping at Sachs, either.

Also, my issue is with those silly and irritating folks who don't understand their task on the interstate entrance ramp is to match speeds with traffic already on the interstate, and then merge. But apparently, the custom in Fantasyland is to do the opposite, and merge before speeding up. I think of it as proof that the Lord (Aquaman) has it in for me when he traps me behind these folks when I'm coming home for wrestling.

My beer (Molson Canadian) has a label on the back that reads "I just want to be held."

Jeez. Everybody's demanding nowadays. That's all I need. A clingy beer.

The Cubs are playing the Giants on ESPN2 right now. Proof that maybe the Lord doesn't have it in so much for me after all.

Here's a way to solve the attendance problems at Major League Baseball games: $2 tickets. Upper deck. Instead of having 3000 people in the upper deck paying 8 bucks a ticket, you have 12000 paying 2 bucks a ticket.

Your box gate is the same. But you have 9000 more people paying $3 for a hot dog and $5 for a coke or a beer.

But I guess it's just not that easy.

They just broke into coverage to show highlights from the game being played in San Diego. There are like 19 people there.

Also, you could quit playing players 14 million dollars.

Larry Eustachy (sp?), the Iowa State coach told a girl at a frat party that he made a million dollars a year. That's three thousand a day to you and me, the great unwashed.

He matches what I make in a year on about the seventh day or so.

My point is: the average joe, tom, dick, harry and Diane West can't relate to a millionaire. Where's the fun in watching a guy who makes 4 million not leg out a ground ball, and paying through the nose to do it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home