Friday, May 23, 2003

Just when I start actually feeling sad that I won't be working with a couple of the people there at work, the District Manager comes by and does something completely smarmy and assholish. Plus, we got a couple of those customers. You know. The ones the world revolves around. It's all good.

Do you want to know what my favorite part of Return of the Jedi is? I'll bet you don't. But you're here, and while I won't hold your face to the computer screen, pinning your eyes open Clockwork Orange style until you've read it all, I strongly suggest that you do. There might be something truly insightful.

Anyway. Return of the Jedi? It's the part when Lando Calrissian and Nien Nunb have just exited hyperspace in the Millennium Falcon to begin the attack on the second Death Star. Lando's asking for a reading on the space station's defensive shield.

"We've got to be able to get some kind of reading on the shield up or down."

Nien (or is it Mr. Nunb....or Mr. Nien?) responds with ALIEN SILLY TALK

"Jamming us? How could they be jamming us if...." as the horror slowly dawns on Lando Calrissian, "if they don't know we're coming."

"Break off the attack! The shield is still up," Lando barks into the comm.

Wedge Antilles: "Are you sure? I get no reading"

"All Craft Pull Up!"

I think John Williams score right there at that moment is probably my favorite piece from all the Star Wars movies, too.

But still, as much as I like that scene (and I've watched it roughly 11,000 times), the Colt 45 commercials, where Billie Dee Williams says "Smooth," are collectively Billie Dee's finest dramatic moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home