Sunday, June 08, 2003

I've decided that at this moment, I'm going to be like every other blogger and use this point as my bully pulpit from which to deliver my message of disgust and general malaise toward the current American Econo-Religious Structure:

From Bloomberg, on Wal-Mart's annual meetings:

In response to customer pressure, Wal-Mart did say it will obscure the covers of several women's magazines because they often feature sexually explicate material. Plastic shields will be placed over Glamour, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan and Redbook magazines beginning next month.

Wal-Mart last month stopped sales of three men's magazines, Maxim, Stuff and FHM, after customers and Christian groups voiced concern about their content.


I would be a bad person if I did not first credit Bill with finding this particular article.

You know, if I'm Wal-Mart, the most powerful retail outlet since Jeebus, I think I'd sell whatever the freak I'd feel like. But, of course, this is the same entity who has the clout to sell edited versions of any album they deem objectionable. I really think Wal-Mart should stick to selling cheap groceries and household goods and used cars and leave my eternal soul alone.

Isn't it bad enough that I'm addicted to Sam's Choice Beverages? Sam Walton reaches his cold hand from beyond the grave to grab me by the nuts.

Also:

Should I be comforted that the religious right is there to protect me from Redbook?

Boy if I'd known it was such a good read I'd enjoy standing in line at the grocery store a lot more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home