Thursday, September 25, 2003

Shawn Estes and the Chicago Cubs

You know, I've been wincing since May, any time I saw Shawn Estes' spot in the rotation come up.

And he's only gotten worse over the course of the season. I was praying for the savior that was Juan Cruz, only to see him get rocked almost as badly--gotta teach that kid to stop relying on emotion and just depend on his stuff.

But it didn't make me like Estes, either.

So I winced when I saw Estes was pitching against the Reds. Despite a lineup full of kids younger than me (which is pretty much the first time I've ever seen it--I'm just 26), I knew the Reds could hit the ball. A couple of guys in their lineup were playing in Chattanooga a couple of weeks ago when Steven and I hit the game the Sunday before Labor Day.

I don't know if Estes came out rested and inspired, or if the Reds were just young and inexperienced. But I've never seen so many guys fooled by a slow, looping breaking ball.

Four games left. One game up. We have one more with the Reds, and three with the Pirates. And given our performance against the determined-to-spoil-somebody's-season Pirates last weekend, I'm nervous.

David Justice and his ESPN announce partner were talking about the Red Sox and the Cubs, and how their fans are constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The Astros have four with the Brew Crew. Would the Brewers please give another team in the Central as much trouble as they seem to give the Cubs? Please?

Is it just me, or has this baseball season just shot by?

Note to any Cubs fans not in the Chicagoland area, unhappy with the lack of WGN games, make sure to check ESPN today and this weekend. They may surprise us and show the game, since the Cubs are in contention, and the Central is one of two or three races (did the Red Sox clench the AL Wildcard last night?) that hasn't been decided. Sure it's not Chip and Steve, but it's the Cubs on TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home