Sunday, September 07, 2003

The Sunday Sports Report

Just looking at some of the sports stuff from this weekend.

The Cubs

The Cubbies swept the Brewers. That's just a good feeling, as the Brew Crew had won something like 12 of their last 14. The pitching staff gets the credit, but the bats showed a little life this weekend. I don't know that I'd have left Prior in for the seventh last night, but on the whole, Cruz, Prior and Kerry Wood put up a very nice wall for the hot-hitting Brewers to run themselves into.

What's more, the Astros are losing as I write, 7-1 I believe. It was in the 8th, in San Diego. If it finishes with a Houston loss, the Cubs will be in sole possession of first place, by half a game, with three weeks to go in the season.

This is an odd feeling.

And we go from hating the Brewers to rooting for them, now that we're done. They play the Astros (starting tomorrow) and the Cardinals a whole mess of times in the next three weeks.

The University of Tennessee

I'm not much of a Vol fan, but I do end up looking at a game, if I'm watching college football and there aren't any other games that are more intriguing.

The Volunteers Defense is sloppy. Scary sloppy. If they don't learn to tackle using the arms, and not just the chest, and also learn to tone their act down to keep from getting penalized for little stupid things like face masks and all various unsportsmanlike conduct penalties....before they start playing the big boys like Georgia, Florida and Miami....2003's gonna be a longer season even than last year.

The NFL

The NFL started in earnest today (Thursdays be damned). The Titans start tonight against the Raiders. We'll see just how old the Raiders are this year, and how young all these Rookies are for the Titans.

Speaking of the Raiders....try to think of anything more gross than Al Davis trying to lick you. He's like the greasiest looking old man I can think of. He reminds me of Goldmember from the last Austin Powers movie. He might even collect his skin flakes, just like Goldmember.

Among the other teams, the Steelers looked pretty tough against the Ravens. And the Panthers/Jaguars game had a really neat finish.

I wasn't impressed by either Indianapolis or Cleveland. That low Indianapolis score hurts, because I have both Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning on my fantasy team, and neither lit it up today.

And are the Texans pushovers? Nobody in our pick'em league picked them to upset the Dolphins, and everybody had the Dolphins up high on the confidence meter. But they fooled everybody last year, too, when they upset the Cowboys the first game of the season.

Hockey

I don't understand Hockey. I'm just too dumb. I do know it's a long season, because it seems like their season ended just last week, and I see in the Tennessean that Predators Rookies will report for training camp this Tuesday, with more players reporting Thursday, and exhibitions beginning in just a couple of weeks.

Boochy Tag

Boochy Boochy Boochy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home