Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Will Ferrell in Confederacy of Dunces?

I'm trying to make my mind up about the rumor that Will Ferrell may soon be tapped to portray Ignatius Reilly, found on Ain't It Cool.

First, if you haven't read John Kennedy Toole's Confederacy of Dunces, stop what you're doing, run to the bookstore (or library), quit your job and read the book. It's one of my favorites. Absolutely hilarious (and occasionally disturbing).

If you're unfamiliar, it concerns itself with the merry misadventures of Ignatius Reilly, of New Orleans, an elephantine lout who fancies himself a writer and social critic. He believes himself much maligned by both society and his mother, who makes him find gainful employment.

My favorite character is Jones, the black man who takes employment in the Night of Joy, a French Quarter Burlesque. Jones is largely the voice of reason throughout the book.

Anyway, largely through the efforts of Drew Barrymore and Steven Soderbergh, Confederacy's going to be made into a movie. And while I can't say I'm pleased with Ms. Barrymore apparently casting herself as Darlene, another of my favorite characters, I am happy (I think) that movement is being made toward getting a movie made of the book.

Could be one of the funniest movies ever made. Done correctly.

The other thing I need to say is that Will Ferrell has become one of my favorite comedic actors.

Inappropriate, exaggerated emotional responses to everday, ordinary occurrences are among my favorite parts of comedy (and pro wrestling, now that I think of it).

I hated Will Ferrell, initially. I hated a lot of the cast of Saturday Night Live when he was a part of it. What brought me over to his camp, though, was the skit (with Christine Baranski) where he screamed at his children who were off screen: "Get off the Shed!" Over and over. Loudly, and inappropriately angrily.

A better illustrator of what I mean can be found at the end of Old School, in which Ferrell's character suddenly violently turns on a new Fraternity pledge, who questions him on the seriousness of his order.

Okay. That all said....I don't know how much I see Will Ferrell as Ignatius Reilly.

And I'm trying to put my finger on why not. Maybe I'll write more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home