Thursday, October 09, 2003

Marvel Comics rumor

Don't get into the comics much here. I haven't been buying much of anything for half a year, with the exceptions of Batman (which I won't anymore, after the ho hum return to the status quo ending of Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee's HUSH), Alias (which ends before long) and Astro City (which is currently in a limited series arc).

But this is off Warren Ellis' e-newsletter, Bad Signals:

...word was circulating yesterday that Marvel President Bill Jemas
(better known to us at Ellis Castle as the Jemas Home Entertainment
System) has been removed from power, and that Epic Comics,
perceived as his initiative, is being deactivated.

This is, of course, just a rumour. But it's proving strangely
persistent, and this email is partly an effort to get people
to stop sending it to me.


I'd been down on Marvel for a long time before Jemas and Quesada took over. Seemed like the comic store shelves were getting bogged down with about 20 X-Men titles and 10 Spider-Man titles a month.

Along with Jemas and Quesada came Marvel Knights, which reinvested time and talent in the Daredevil franchise, the Max line, (a more mature line of comics in which characters curse, are seen engaging in more adult activities (for the comics, anyway), and which contain a little bit of nudity), and the Ultimate Universe, in which Marvel's characters were given updated origins and storylines, which were unhindered by the 35 to 40 years of continuity characters like Spider-Man and the X-Men carried with them.

Some of what came was good. Alias, by Brian Bendis, is probably my favorite comic in quite some time. Different type character...a private detective who used to be a superheroine...who solves mysteries, mostly tangentially related to the goings on of the "normal" superhero universe. I can't fault the Ultimate Spider-Man books. I've never really read Spider-Man, but have read all the roommate's trade editions, and really enjoyed them. And the Howard the Duck mini under the Max line was really enjoyable, too.

Now, understand that I've not been a regular for half a year now. But any time I step into a comic store, Marvel is back to the same old, same old. There are again about 20 X-Men titles. There are about 10 Spider-Man titles, and the Max line (with the exception of Alias) has become just a glorified line of cheap shoot 'em ups with the occasional flash of titties.

I think I even saw a few holographically embossed poly-bagged with card advertised in the latest Previews.

How much Jemas is to blame for that, I haven't a clue.

Though I'm disappointed that the Epic line will be shut down. I already had a couple of things submitted.

The one thing I will say about Marvel is that their rejection letters are extremely polite, and generally contain a lot of constructive criticism. At least, the couple I got from them did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home