Sunday, October 19, 2003

Random Thoughts

Just a few things that have been bouncing around in my mind.

The World Series

I realized that I don't really care all that much about this year's World Series....

Reading

....when I realized that I'd read pretty much the third quarter of Under the Banner of Heaven, in which Jon Krakauer chronicles the violent history of the Mormon Faith, specifically fundamentalist Mormon Faith, and even more specifically, and single violent act perpetrated by a couple of fundamentalists.

An interesting read.

Though it made me wonder about the dynamics of the dating life in the polygamous society some fundamentalists live in. Just the line where a man with four wives already resolved to ask one of Krakauer's interviewees out on a date. Especially since she had been heretofore unacquainted with anyone who lived in a polygamous relationship.

He: Hey! Want to go get dinner and a movie? With Me? And my four other wives?

She: Well, normally I'm repulsed by a person who commits an act so alien to our society, but sure! Why not?


And I say this only because I'm doing so "absolutely swimmingly" when it comes to my own social life.

Fart Joke

Anger Management should win the Oscar in Fart Direction. I won't ruin the scene, except to say in a house inhabited by "barking spiders," Buddy's question to Dave was well received.

The Quest

I'm 6 books in on the Quest. I don't know that I'll make it, especially when gainful, non-temporary, full-time employment hits me. But I'll try my damnedest.

To read 100 books in 366 days (2004 is a leap year, so I have one day's advantage), it works out to a book every 3 and 2/3 days....or one every 88 hours.

The problem?

I still haven't learned to read.

Falling Back in the Central Time Zone

It's getting darker earlier. Funny how that happens in the fall. Around this time, every year. What's really crappy about living on the eastern cusp of the Central Time Zone, is that when we switch back to Standard Time, it gets dark around 4:30 in the afternoon.

It's not a big difference, I realize. The biggest shock was my first semester of school out here, when I had a geology lab from 3 to 5, and it would be the afternoon when you went into class, and the dead of night when you got out.

Pickle Chips: God's Own Food

Straight White Guy was preaching the virtues of the deep fried pickle over on his blog. I gotta heartily agree. I believe I called them "God's Own Food" on his comment section. I said that, because they're hella-good.

That Crazy NFL

The Titans handed Carolina their first loss of the season today. That makes me happy. However, almost every other team I picked to win in my Pick'em League has lost. With the exception of Seattle. Seriously. I had a horrible week.

Last, but not least, a blog

And this is a blog I'm reading. Xyon's Rambles. Fellow RTB guy. Likes Neil Gaiman and other fine SF standards (big props to Smallville, which, unfortunately, I still haven't seen this season). Give his blog a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home