Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Geek Cred

Geek Cred

Llama Butchers and Sheila and Bill have talked a little bit about Geek Cred.

Ten Things, huh?

Ahem.

10. When I find an author I like, I obsess until I've read everything by that author. Whether it's lighter stuff, like Joe Lansdale or Michael Crichton, or heavier, like Karen Armstrong's religious histories, or (dammit) Faulkner. I've gotten hold of four Tom Robbins books that I think I'm about to go through. Speaking of obsession, I've read every book published by Stephen King. Yeah, I know he's not a great writer, but I like his stories. And that's all that matters.

9. Huge baseball fan. Love the baseball. Any baseball. Perfect day? Surprise double header, as it was when we went to a Myrtle Beach Pelicans minor league game, and found out that they'd been rained out the night before, and were playing a double header.

8. I have gone to a bookstore on a date. As THE main part of the date, after dinner. And she enjoyed it.

7. I know entire episodes of the Simpsons by heart. I quote them with friends. I am not the biggest Simpsons geek I know. That last fact makes me sad.

6. Tim Burton can do no wrong, in my eyes.

5. I have to see any movie that feature disaster footage on a grand scale. Independence Day, when Los Angeles, Washington and New York are getting obliterated? I'm there. Tidal wave sweeping over New York, in Deep Impact? Oh yeah. Paris getting blown to bits in Armageddon? Truly great film making. In fact, if you need me to go see your movie, there are two shots you need to put in your trailer: 1.) Some famous landmark getting swept away, smashed by a comet or being climbed by a giant monster, and 2.) A bunch of people running away from it. It doesn't even have to be on that grand a scale...my favorite scene is the Marshmallow Man scene in Ghostbusters, especially when he steps on the church to get at the Ghostbusters.

4. I used to be able to do the dialog of Star Wars (pre SE) from memory. I'd probaby still be able to do it, but I may be a little rusty, as I've actually gone without seeing Star Wars for about 18 months, now. Which is a record. I started to prove it to a friend, once, and by the time I'd gotten to Vader's "You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor! Take her Away" speech, he was telling me to stop. Stop! STOP!

3. I'm 27, and I go to the toy store at least once a week. I don't buy much. But that's due more to finances and priorities than lack of need to buy toys. Simpsons figures. Star Wars figures. A Cardassian turned Borg figure is staring me in the face right now.

2. I'm a standup comedy geek, especially here lately. I don't go to live shows much (money, dammit), but I'm terribly impressed by anybody who can get up in front of a lot of people and make them laugh. The big shows are too expensive. But there are some that might be worth it. Danielle pointed out that the Smothers Brothers are coming in weekend after next. Not completely standup, but a funny show, I'm sure. That would kick ass.

1. I watch professional wrestling. I have professional wrestling on tape and DVD. I write about wrestling occasionally on my blog. I can talk to people as to what my favorite matches of all time are, and why. It's essentially a soap opera, only with the fighting taking place in the ring, choreographed.

Well. There you go.

The hard part was narrowing it down to 10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home