Monday, July 05, 2004

Cubs Thoughts

Cubs Thoughts

I just hit the wrong button when going to cut and paste. Instead of copying, my finger hit the paste button, and before I realized what I'd done, I screwed my whole big long post of Cubs thoughts.

I won't re-write completely. A few thoughts.

Glendon Rusch is the man. Eight innings of shutout ball. Good job Glendon.

I want a closer. LaTroy Hawkins got bailed out by the Sox bullpen's ineptitude. I pray this to Jim Hendry. Please, a closer.

I'm happy to see the Sox lose, mostly because I hate Frank Thomas. I had a big rant here about Thomas wanting "job security," and how I was working at a hotel and the day Thomas ranted about respect and job security, I nearly drove myself crazy having to chase a guest's pomeranian over the property.

I don't like interleague play. I made metaphor about the interleague play being the equivalent of free hot dogs and RC Cola at the car dealership. I think Major League Baseball and the Commissioner's job should be to make sure the very best product is being put on the field, and that the number of asses in the seats isn't the best indicator of that. I think that promotion and special things ought to be the place of individual teams ought to play with. I think interleague play's a novelty designed to get more people in to pay $8 for a cup of Icehouse. It screws up the schedule, and I don't think most fans outside of the team areas care about the Brewers vs. the Mariners. That's just me.

But I'm able to get up for the White Sox series a little. Because I don't like Frank Thomas, and seeing him lose (and whiff three times in pinch-hitting appearances over the course of the series) makes me feel happy. Because I'm small and petty.

We got something like 11 out of our next 21 against the Brewers. I hope you like Ben Sheets and Lyle Overbey. Because they'll be sleeping in your guest room for the next month or so.

I hate playing the Brewers. It always eats up pitchers. It's always a slugfest. When both teams were out of contention, it was fun to watch, in a way. But the last thing I want to see with the Cubs in contention is the Brewers coming down the road, a Brewers team that has something to play for other than the schadenfreude of watching the Cubs lose.

And the All Star Rosters were announced. Saw Sammy elected, and the Moistest Alou and Carlos Zambrano selected. I'm glad Moises got the nod. He carried the Cubs in Sammy's absence.

I voted mostly along Cubs lines, though I didn't vote for Sammy. I don't vote for players on the D.L. Especially those who hurt themselves sneezing. That effectively keeps me for voting for myself. That, and lack of baseball playing talent.

I did vote for Jack and Craig Wilson of the Pirates. Showing a little love for a couple of former Nashville Sounds. I was glad to see Jack Wilson get a nod from Jack McKeon.

I won't tell you to vote for Aramis Ramirez for the final roster spot. I did that for Corey Patterson last year, and he blew out his knee. I don't think I caused that, but I'm not going to take any chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home