Thursday, July 01, 2004

Thursday

Thursday

I remember, when hearing that the Astros had acquired Carlos Beltran from the Royals, smiling quietly to myself, because I didn't think Beltran was the answer to the Astros' problems, and that they needed arms in their bullpen more than the bat. Sure, I said, Beltran's an upgrade, but he can't pitch. I didn't think his acquisition made them that much of a better team. Just another bat on a team with an even shakier bullpen.

Well, it made them good enough to beat the Cubs last night.

Stupid Tommy. Stupid Carlos Beltran.

And there I was, all excited, watching over the internet as Corey Patterson actually battled and fought in an at bat to earn a base on balls to load the bases in the bottom of the eighth. I figured that little display of higher intellect vs. free-swinging instinct should have been enough for the umpires to just award the game to us. Umpires like moral victories.

Corey Patterson walked? Free run. And then they'd cancel the ninth inning. And there'd be a big Peanuts style dance party.

But life doesn't work like I think it should. It's probably for the best, considering how petty I am.

Not a whole lot going on down in my neck of the woods. I'm over here in East TN now, deep below the Earth in my NORAD style BSTommy Special Defense Bunker. I'm still unpacking, and getting the work situation figured out. On the upside, I won't have to work this weekend. On the downside, my stuff doesn't unpack itself.

As a quick note, at the end of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, one of the characters is packing his belongings. With a wave of his wand, his books, bags and trunks pack themselves. I shook my head in quiet envy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home