Sunday, August 08, 2004

Greg Maddux

Greg Maddux

Congrats to Greg Maddux, who recorded win number 300 today, as the Cubs downed Barry Bonds and the Giants in San Francisco. I know it's small potatoes in terms of accolades coming from a blog with a readership in the dozens (on a good day). But I wanted to say congrats to Mad Dog. It's an accomplishment that only a handful of players had done prior to this, and one that I don't think we'll see a whole lot more (owing to fewer starts for pitchers in a season, and less incentive to play long careers).

To me, it's a momentous thing, having a pitcher win 300 games.

You wouldn't know it by the way Fox treated it.

I haven't looked at the Fox coverage distribution. Were the Cubs and Giants the National game today? Chattanooga carries the Braves if they play a Saturday afternoon game. And as tantalizing a contest the Braves vs. a last place team is, I really wanted to watch a milestone game this afternoon. I'd wager the Cubs/Giants did get good distribution, and that living near Chattaboogie I got screwed.

But when did Fox break into the Braves to show Cubs highlights? Any time Barry "My hat size is 9 1/8" Bonds came up to bat. Yeah. They think Maddux winning 300's real big.

But I digress.

Mr. Maddux has put together a helluva career. Easily one of the best to pitch in my generation. So, I'm happy that he hit the milestone. Even happier that he did it in a Cub uniform. Good job, Greg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home