Saturday, November 20, 2004

Who Is Killing the World's Oldest People?

Who Is Killing the World's Oldest People?

Say what you will about me, at least I'm consistent...

The World's Oldest Man dies at 113....

Fred Hale, Sr. was 12 days shy of his 114th birthday.

Tragedy.

(Deep Breath).

Who is Killing the World's Oldest People?

It's a dastardly occurrence.

My favorite part of this joke is that this running gag generates more blog e-mail for me than anything else I do. Like, mucho mas. The last time the world's (or just our nation's) oldest person died, and the couple of times before that, I got right around 4 e-mails concerning this joke, generally from other bloggers who like to point out that they've made the same joke, and hours and minutes before I did, at that...or that this is an old joke that they saw on the Tonight Show, or Ed Sullivan, or whatever (there's a Shakespearean gag that's very similar).

I usually get 1 e-mail concerning the blog a week. I do around 15 posts a week. So, I'll double my month's blog e-mail doing a post.

Which is good. I like reading e-mail. Because reading e-mail whups doing work. Any day of the week. Twice on Sunday.

Anyway.

In all seriousness, I wonder what the record for holding the title World's Oldest Person is. I mean, you can't hold the title long. Biology kind of assures that.

But Mr. Hale has been the World's Oldest Man, at least as it concerned the fine folks at the Guinness Book of World Records, since March 5 of this year. That's 8 months. Which is a ridiculous time to be ridiculously old.

Do you get a Guinness record for holding the title of world's oldest person longer than anybody else?

Or is it too much to wrap a brain around?

Anyway. Mr. Hale has passed on. Dude got to see the Red Sox win the Series. Good for him. But he's a guy who could say "86 years? pshaw. I could do that standing on me head."

I don't know if he would talk like that, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home