Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Banned Books

Banned Books

Anybody who reads this ever read the book Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, by Ann Brashares?

I ask because a local parent raised a fuss, and got the book taken out of their local school's library. I'll link to the Daily Post Athenian story about such a thing later (the DPA doesn't put online their current stories...you gotta pay 50 cents for a copy if you want to read about the latest meth bust and today's Snuffy Smith).

The parents involved, Vic and Jane Wooten "filled out a 'Citizen's Request for Reconsideration of Media' and attached two pages of excerpts from the book as evidence of its 'immorality through language, teenage drinking and sexual activities.'"

I'd like to hear from somebody who's read it. I found a review or two, and saw a couple of blurbs on Amazon's page for the book.

But I'd like to hear from a person who's read it who might comment on any material found within that might be damaging to a child's psyche and development.

Because everything I've seen besides the Wootens' request seems that the book is a coming of age type story, and all reviews I read seemed positive, to even glowing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home