Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Favorite John Candy Movie

My Favorite John Candy Movie

Steven's finally pointed out the glaring question in all the blogworld. I've been wondering what Steven's favorite John Candy movie is. And there have been several times when I've been close to asking that question. I think I came closest when I was Best Man at his wedding, as we were in the back, waiting to go out to the altar for Steve to get hitched. Steven, the preacher and I were talking, and I started to ask...."Steven, what's your..." and then the music started, and Steve had to go out and get married.

So, he's answered now.

To be fair, though, I wonder what everybody's favorite John Candy movie is.

But it's gotten me to thinking.

What makes a movie a "John Candy Movie." Is it a movie that has John Candy in it, if not necessarily in a lead role? Or is it a vehicle that focuses on John Candy's character?

So, I'll answer both questions.

To the first point, I'll say that Stripes is my favorite movie with John Candy in it. He's not in the lead, as Ox, but he's definitely got some of the movie's best moments. I think my favorite's when he's teaching cards to Cruiser, and he takes a look at the novice's hands, encourages him to bluff, and takes all his money.

My favorite movie where he is the focus? Definitely Planes, Trains and Automobiles. The conversation he has, as Del Griffith, with Neal Page, about what bugs him about Neal Page..."you fidget with your nuts a lot...Larry Bird doesn't do as much ball handling in one night as you do in an hour..."

There's one more.

John Candy's in Nothing But Trouble, with Chevy Chase, Demi Moore and Dan Aykroyd. It's a stupid, stupid movie, but one I kinda like in spite of myself and Chevy Chase's misguided attempts at being funny.

There's a scene where Dan Aykroyd's demented Judge Valkenheiser is sitting down to dinner with Chevy Chase's and Demi Moore's characters, as well as John Candy's Deputy Dennis. The Judge asks loudly, "How about a Nice Hawaiian Punch?" And he pulls out one of the old style oilcans of Hawaiian Punch. As he cracks it open with a triangular can opener, he waxes on how, some days, there's nothing that eases the pain like a nice glass of Hawaiian Punch.

The look on John Candy's face, as he nods in silent agreement, is the look of a man who does not need nor is used to waxing philosophic on such things, but his whole heart says nothing short of "preach on, brother."

Comic gold.

Any others?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home