Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Producers

The Producers

Note to self: Never make the pronouncement "it probably won't be crowded" before going into a movie, ever again. Because you're worse than the guy on the FedEx commercial. You're always wrong about it.

Honstly, though. Who'da thunk it? I figured everybody'd still be off seeing Narnia, or Kong, or even Munich or Memoirs of a Geisha. Fuck Me, though. I think everybody decided to see a musical to chime in the New Year.

The Producers was Packed.

But I was apparently not the only one who thought it wouldn't be so crowded. Judging from the huge parties that showed up, and then stood confused in the darkness trying to find an empty row to seat their group, we all thought it would play to an empty theater....

Can I make a suggestion for a resolution for the general public for this brand New Year? For 2006, could some of you try showing up to a movie on time? How about it? I realize that none of us thought it would be crowded, but it's a bit of a distraction for you people to stand in the front row, trying to find Six Together for you and your brood. Bite the bullet, and sit in six different seats. Whaddaya expect showing up to a 3:05 flick at 3:18?

As for the flick?

I liked the movie. I give it a thumbs up.

Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick grew on me, after my initial bad reaction (it seemed like Lane was channeling Zero Mostel at 2/3 speed, and Broderick was doing a bad Gene Wilder). But they grew on me. I think it was the Broderick fantasy scene in the accounting office, where it diverges from the original flick, that let me accept the two as their own characters.

My alternating love/hate thing with Will Ferrell continues. Maybe it's an alternating year thing, like what Bret Saberhagen used to have....everything I saw Ferrell in 2004, I laughed my ass off. In 2005, he did three things I hated (Anchorman, Melinda and Melinda and Kicking & Screaming), and a fourth that I refused to see (Bewitched) on the grounds that you can fool me once, twice, even three times, but I refuse to be duped four times....

But even if it's hours old, it is a New Year. Keeping in mind it is not so much when the movie is made as it is when I see it....maybe 2006 will be a positive year for me and Mr. Ferrell.

But I digress.

A Couple of the numbers even illicited applause from the audience. I personally enjoyed Bloom's solo number in the accounting office, and Ferrell's Liebkind becoming insulted at one Hitler's performance of a German shownumber that he shouts him offstage, and reprises the number himself.

And while I can't say how this one compares to the stage version, never having seen the stage production, this Producers is a good flick. Not as good as the 68 original, which is in my personal top 10. But a fine flick in its own right. Definitely one of the better I've seen in a little while....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home