Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar Thoughts: Well, shit. It's 11:20

Oscar Thoughts: Well, shit. It's 11:20

Tom Hanks' introduction and presentation of the Best Director oscar reminded me of Harrison Ford a couple years back. Both came out looking lightly disheveled, seeming slightly annoyed. Both got through the intros and presentations in less than a minute and a half.

It's getting late. These guys wanna go drink (more).

----

Jack Nicholson's out. He's not in a hurry. He knows that the alcohol will be there when he does. Because nobody, but nobody, is gonna drink Jack's stuff. I mean, dude's got the stroke to sit next to Keira Knightley. Whoever was sitting there before then? Already buried under the Staples Center.

Nobody rushes Jack Nicholson to a party. Because Jack Nicholson is the Party.

----

Holy Shit. Crash won. It was my late afternoon prediction.

I saw Crash. There were performances in Crash (Sandra Bullock was surprisingly good, Matt Dillon, Jennifer Esposito and Terrence Howard also performed strongly) I liked very, very much.

There were also parts (Ryan Philippe and Don Cheadle, in what I thought was a trite, simplistic performance on his part), that I hated.

On the whole, I thought Crash was a mixed bag of performances.

And for an ensemble piece, I don't know that it gelled like it could (and should) have.

The script is decent. A bit short-sighted, I think.

But it has good dialogue. Great, even.

But the movie itself is just likeable. I don't know that I'll ever think of it as one of the great ones.

Of course, my perceptions may change over time.

Do you think the backlash got to Brokeback Mountain?

-----

Good show tonight. Very lighthearted. I think Jon Stewart brought a lot of that.

I didn't feel the taint of Bruce Vilanche's hackery.

(Jeebus. If ever there were a line to be taken out of context for this blog, it is the phrase "I didn't feel the taint of Bruce Vilanche...")

-----

Anyway. I didn't mean to live blog this thing. Just didn't have anything better to do tonight. I'd planned on writing as I watched. Turns out I did; just not what I'd intended to write....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home