Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In which Tuesday was full of shit....

In which Tuesday was full of shit...

This state of being full of shit? Tiresome, guys. Tiresome.

Actually, Tuesday weren't so bad, except for one little thing.

The Bijou theater down in Chattanooga's been taking a couple nights a week to go retro, show some older flicks on their big screen. They did Goonies and Back to the Future back in November, before I realized that they were doing so. Goonies is one of those flicks my sister and I watched almost every day one summer that school was out. I still know that one by heart.

During the Christmas season, they did Home Alone, Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story, the last of those I was lucky enough to go see.

Last week, it was Ghostbusters, which is one of my favorite movies. I've never seen it on the big screen. Still haven't. Couldn't get out of work quickly enough. Tuesday's a rough day, since we're changing for the new ad. Add to that the fact I was setting up Valentine's Day junk, too, and it didn't have me getting out until after the movie had started.

This week, though....

I don't think you can be a proper geek in this world without being able to quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail to some degree. My personal forte is Dennis's "Mandate from the Masses" speech....



That one.

Anyway, wandered down with Shyam to go see Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I was looking forward to heading to Mellow Mushroom before the movie. I'd decided that a calzone was what would hit the spot for dinner, and that would be the only thing. Alongside, I was wanting a nice cold pint of Dead Guy Ale.

Here's the "full of shit" part of the day. I rode with Shyam. She parks in the parking lot directly across from the Mushroom. My heart sinks. The sign and lights within are turned off.

"I may be about to be pissed off," I told Shyam.

After paying for parking, we find a note on the door that tells us the Mushroom was closed for the evening so that their employees could all attend their restaurant's winter party.

Son of a bitch. Ain't that some crap?

It wasn't all bad. We hit Big River instead. They brew their own stuff, and a burger and their I.P.A. (bitter as my soul, at that point) did the trick. Plus, Shyam was able to get a Hummus and Goat Cheese salad to soothe her vegetarian palate.

The movie? Very good on the big screen. I sometimes balk at going to see a movie in a large crowd, anymore, seeing as how nobody knows how not to talk during a movie or turn their cellphone off. This one was different, though. Everybody actually seemed to be there to see the movie. What an idea!

I can't remember the last time I actually sat to watch Holy Grail. I know I lved in Murfreesboro at the time, so it was at least 3 1/2 years ago.

But, it was one of those we'd end up watching every month or so in high school and college. It's one of those I know just about all the words to. There were several times I found myself mouthing the words to the flick. A few times, I heard people around me doing dialog, or singing to "the Knights of the Round Table."

One of those rare occasions that seeing the flick with a large group actually enhanced the experience.

So, not so full of shit today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home