Saturday, December 27, 2008

Geeks....

Geeks...

I'm glad I work with geeks.

I'm a geek, but I have a notoriously bad memory for names. It runs in my family. Don't know what it is, but I will call people I've known my entire life by the wrong name. I've done it from time to time on here. And as much as I find myself irritated by people who exult in correcting you on a small thing like a name, I try to take it in stride...it's just one of those things I credit to my brain working faster than my mouth. Or is it the other way around?

Regardless, we were discussing at work what we'd gotten for Christmas. I mentioned that my sister'd gotten me a 2-disc edition of The Day The Earth Stood Still, and among the special features was a commentary with, among others, director Ray Wise.

"Robert," my friend Justin corrected me. "Robert Wise was the director."

I thought for a second. "You're right," I said.

After a second, I said "Who's Ray Wise?"

Justin looked at me. He said what I'd already had in my head "he's an actor...I think."

Well, it plagued me for the rest of the morning. Luckily, it hit me in the middle of filling out paperwork. I went to Justin soon after, and reported: Ray Wise played, among other things, one of the bad guys in Robocop, and the Devil in....

I couldn't remember the name of the show.

Neither could Justin, who had similarly been wondering who Ray Wise was.

Luckily for the both of us, at our short staff meeting, a third party was able to remind us that Ray Wise played the Devil in Reaper.

I am reminded of two things.

1.) These are the thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools.

And:

2.) It's good work with geeks. Otherwise, I might have gone nuts, lying awake still not knowing...that, or I'd have looked on the interweb when I got home....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home