Sunday, August 23, 2009

Beer Beer Beer....

Beer Beer Beer....

Wandered down to Southern Brewers Festival on Saturday. A good day, out in the sun. Here lately, and by lately, I mean since 2004, I spend a little too much time inside. It's not unusual to go into work in the dark, and leave in the dark. And given my desire a.) to continue school and b.) write whenever I can, I end up spending more time than I should inside.

So, I took the pale-ass legs, arms and rest of Tommy out to Ross's Landing for some beer.

A few quick notes:

I stuck mainly to IPA's. The old joke is that Tommy likes his beers like he likes his women, cold and bitter. And while I can't comment too much without further damaging my social life, I will say that there isn't much that beats a good IPA for my money. People laugh about the bitter, but I'm one of those weird fuckers who likes actually Taste my beer when I drink it. I like an IPA because they tend toward the fullest flavor, for my money, and don't end up laying on my stomach like a porter or stout....

Out of what I had, Bold City Brewery's Mad Manatee was maybe my favorite, with Starr Hill's Northern Lights coming in a very close second (and then only possibly because toward the end of the night, they were a 200 foot stretch of crowd away from our staked out position. Both were excellent, and if you're somewhere close to their areas. There were a handful of other IPA's sampled (and one sad absence...I always look forward to Bosco's IPA, but they weren't in attendance this year...Bosco's is the best IPA I've ever had).

I stuck mainly to IPA, but among those when I wavered:

New Belgium's got a helluva nice beer Hoptoberfest, if you can check it out. It's a seasonal...New Belgium doesn't make a bad beer, so I recommend it if you have the time....Hoppy enough to wander into the IPA category, but a bit sweeter on the whole. It's a beer I'd be fine taking home with me...

One more of note: Highland Brewing's Gaelic Ale (a personal favorite, and occasionally available in bottle form aroudn these parts), and it's hard to resist. Their stuff is great on tap, if you can find it....

At the end of the night, there was a brief trip to Mellow Mushroom, to soak up a little bit of the alcohol, which tends to build up even if you're going 8 to ten ounces at a time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home