Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 and whatnot....

Well, as the Gooseneck so kindly reminded, I've not sat down to put pen to paper for this blogamathing in any meaningful way in a little while. Time gets short for retail people this time of year. Twelve-hour workdays working with the public during the holidays ain't conducive to a gregarious and multitudinous level of blogamaposting.

I dunno. The holidays are rough. I enjoy them, what time I get to spend actually holidaying. It's just the nature of the beast, I guess. When people have asked, lately, how my Christmas was, I answer honestly: Short. Work 12-13 hours on Christmas Eve. Get up at 7 Christmas morning to wrap presents, spend the day with the family, and get up the next morning to get back to the grind. I don't know if there's a biblical law forbidding my getting two days off in a row during November & December, but it happened once, and that's one more time than I can remember it happening in years past.

Enough bitching. If there's a part of 2009 that I'd like to close the door on it's the holidays....

All things considered, it wasn't a bad year. Worked a bunch. Did some school. Got to hang out with friends and family. Read a few books, watched a few movies. There were things I'd have liked to have done, a little more time I'd have liked to have had. But all things considered, I can't bitch too much. There have been a couple years in the past five that I've really wanted to slam the door on and run from screaming. This is not one of those years. Maybe it's a small victory, but it's a victory nonetheless.

Resolutions? There are the usual ones. I'm going stop eating so much fast food. Going to lose a little bit of weight. Going to read a little more--that one's been on my mind. As recently as four years ago, I mowed through 70 books in a year. This year, I'd put the number at 15...18 out the outside, and that's been the case for a couple or three years.

Mostly though, I'd like to stop taking everything so fucking seriously. I used to feel like I could laugh anything off, and that's not where I've been for two or three years. Funny that it's got much the same time frame as the book thing. Correlation, Watson? Seems like that one's a textbook answer.

Anyway. We'll see you botards over in Twenty-Ten....Y'all have a good New Year!

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

The downfall of the Rocky Top Brigade was 2-3 years ago too, wasn't it? Maybe that's part of the problem.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home