Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Mark Quinn got released by the Royals today. Read about it here.

One time, Steven and I went to a Nashville Sounds game, when Quinn was with the Royals AAA team. He was playing right field, and Steven and I had moved down to the right field corner for some reason. We were pretty much the only two people from about first base to the right field wall. And we were just talking to Quinn, giving him shit.

I don't remember what we said or who said it, but something we said got his attention. It was about the sixth inning or so. He comes out of his crouch and just stares daggers at me and Steven for several, uncomfortable seconds. See, there's nothing but a three foot high wall to keep him from coming after us. I'm a pansy and Steven's a panty-waist. I remember yelling at him to "watch the game" and I pointed toward the infield.

It wasn't three pitches later that Quinn completely misjudges a flyball. He loses the ball and spends a long time trying to find it. Three runs score based on his error.

The Sounds stadium has a hot tub platform, and on that fateful night, a fraternity from MTSU had rented the platform. And they got all over Quinn when he muffed the ball.

And boyoboy! Did the expletives ever fly up there.

And when he got done yelling at the frat boys, he stares right at us. He dared us to say something (without speaking, of course).

We didn't say anything for a little while.

That was the most fun I ever had ragging somebody at a baseball game.

Except when we were yelling at J.D. Drew that he was worth every penny the year after he'd held out from the Phillies and had been drafted by the Cardinals. That was pretty fun.

But now Quinn is no longer a Royal. I hope he gets a minor league contract with somebody, so that he can come back to Nashville.

And it's probably bad form to plug something twice. But here's my forum. Go there. And talk good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home