Thursday, April 03, 2003

It's a product of our society, I think. Everybody wants to hit the big one. Everybody wants to get everything done in one fell swoop. Do one action, go home. Nobody wants to work for anything. What's more, nobody appreciates anybody who does the little things that actually get things done.

I like a good home run as much as anybody. It's a nice thing to see. My Dad and I went to a Braves/Pirates playoff game in 92. The Braves jacked up the Pirates something like 14-5. Ron Gant hit a grand slam that landed about five seats to our right. I remember how my heart jumped when I saw the ball coming our way. Craig Wilson hit three homers in one night a couple of seasons ago at a Sounds game, and I wanted him to hit number four as much as anybody in the park. So I'm not against the home run.

But it's been blown so out of proportion, I think. Nobody appreciates the fundamentals. That's in baseball, and in life. Nobody appreciates a team manufacturing a run. A walk? Screw that stuff. Stealing bases? What's them? Weiner Dog? How bout it?

I guess it's just a case of my having to over-utilize my mental filter. To me, the story is not that Sammy Sosa did not hit his 500th home run. To me the story is that the Cubs won, 6-3. When you look closely, you see that Sammy walked six times this series with the Mets, and he scored four (?) runs.

But that don't matter to nobody. Sammy didn't get his 500th home run.

Just so long as Sammy doesn't start pressing like he did at the end of last season, I think we'll be alright. Instead of getting on Sammy for not hitting the home run, why don't they applaud Corey and Moises for producing and manufacturing the runs they did this series?

But I think I'm probably fighting city hall on this one.

As for the Cubbies, it's still possible for them to go 2-160.

And isn't it feasible that Sammy, Rafael Palmiero, Fred McGriff and Ken Griffey, Jr. all hit their 500th this year? Palmiero's just 9 away, and McGriff around 22. Griffey would have to stay healthy, for once, and hit 32 or so. If I remember correctly. And I probably don't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home