Monday, October 20, 2003

Joe Schmo Show

Tomorrow night's the finale of the Joe Schmo show.

I still stand by my questions as to the overall authenticity of the show. We live in a litigious society. And if Matt Kennedy Gould is, in fact, a patsy, it seems that he would have quite a legal leg to stand on, when it came to mis-representation and whatnot.

That said, I like the theory proposed somewhere online, I think at Online Onslaught, that Matt isn't the patsy at all. Rather, Matt, the producers and probably Ralph Garman, are actually the ones manipulating the rest of the cast. (Just a note, when I went to find mention of Joe Schmo on Online Onslaught, I couldn't find mention, so I may have read that theory elsewhere).

That would be a nice twist.

But I'm running on the belief that this is an attempt at a joke on Matt. Reviews I've read of the show, specifically from newspapers from around Pittsburgh (Matt's hometown), would suggest that everything is on the up and up, as far as the show's intentions toward Matt.

My theory is this: I think Matt may have figured everything out. I'm not sure exactly when. I think it may have been around the time Matt was asking the Molly character about her hometown, and Molly slipped up in her response (saying something along the lines of being from Wisconsin, when she's supposedly from Texas, or vice-versa). I just remember the look on Matt's face in the rest of the conversation, as he was studying everybody's responses.

And I think he's been testing the waters, ever so much. He'll ask little questions of people. And I like the final dinner with the Hutch and Bryan, where Matt brings up his meeting with the Network Executive, and Matt says "It was like he was an actor, or something."

And he's a little bit evasive when questions get asked about what he's thinking. He'll just give an answer along the lines of "I'm happy to be here."

Actually, I'm wavering.

I'm kind of leaning toward the whole shebang being legit, and Matt's just a really good guy.

But it's about 55% of my thinking that leans that way. And I wonder, if that's the case, if Matt gets the $100,000 promised to the winner of the fictional "Lap of Luxury" show.

45% of me, though, thinks Matt's figured it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home