Saturday, December 20, 2003

The Bartman Ball/Harry Caray

From out Len Cleavelin's way we find this little tidbit: The ball deflected by the notorious Steve Bartman has been purchased at auction, and plans are for it to be destroyed at Harry Caray's in February.

It's an interesting story--give it a read.

I bring it up, though, because the story mentions the toast to Harry in February, on the sixth anniversary of his death.

There was an odd day last spring or early summer. It was nice out...sunny, a nice breeze, and not too hot at all....stream of consciousness moment, I know exactly when it was: It was a week after I'd left my job of four years, and I had a job interview that I thought had gone well, and I was thinking about what a great day that it was.

And the Cubs were going to be on WGN.

And I thought about how great it would have been to be able to drag to the TV out onto the deck, take a cold drink with me, and just relax out on the perfect day, with Harry Caray calling the Cubs on WGN.

It's hard to believe he'll have been gone six years when it rolls around this February.

Doesn't the offseason suck by the way? It's cold, and there isn't any baseball, except for the rumor-mongering.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home