Wednesday, December 17, 2003

Books

I updated the Read List. I hadn't in a while. Not necessarily because I wasn't reading. But because I'm forgetful. And I'm on my 21st book, which would put me right on my desired pace. I don't think I'll make it, though. By coincidence, what I've been reading was fairly short. The next few on my shelf are longer, and more involved. Got one about Stonewall Jackson coming up. A religious history or two. And I've got the damnedest urge to read a Faulkner.

But let me ask this, as it's been in my craw for a couple of days.

Okay, a lot of you read, I'll reckon. So I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Do you try to read at work? Like at lunchtime, or something?

Or maybe at the airport, or someplace similar.

Do you have that person in your life who, when they see you reading, assume that you're only waiting for somebody (them) to come talk to you?

Because you couldn't be reading to just be reading. That's ludicrous! Absurd! All Messed Up in the Head! Who would Do That?

And they come talk to you about some stupid little whatever they've been thinking about (eyebrow piercing) and to tell you about their nieces and nephews and what it was they watched on the TV last night.....basically whatever they can just to keep you from reading your book.

I'm reading W.P. Kinsella's Iowa Baseball Confederacy on my lunch breaks. I've been on it about a month now, but am only half through it. The co-workers can't have that. They need to come talk about anything. To save me from my literacy, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home