Monday, March 01, 2004

The Oscars Redux

I wish Catherine Zeta Jones had more to do tonight.

I'd never really noticed it, but Tim Robbins has a very large head, but a very small face.

Patricia Clarkson is one of those character-type actresses whose face I knew, but not her name. And I'd never made the connection when I saw her name nominated. I always like those moments when you finally see a name and a face together, and it clicks in your head.

Liv Tyler. Yeah. She's cool.

Did Peter Jackson carry his tuxedo with him from New Zealand crumpled up in a garbage bag? I'd wager if you checked, you'd find no less than four different kinds of food staining his clothing. And, as it was noted, it's to be considered victory if Pete wears long pants and shoes at the same time.

It irritated me when performers applauded for their own performance.

However, it amuses me when Will Ferrell is able to make Jack Black crack a smile. Jack's pretty good about keeping it straight, even when being goofy. If you can make the other comedians laugh, then you're generally doing fairly well. (Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon excluded, as they can't be in a sketch on SNL without laughing each other...it gets tiresome).

Ben Stiller isn't funny to me. But put Ben and Owen Wilson together, and it's something very special.

That Anheuser Busch commercial/psa, about parents' knowing where there kids are? It sends a terrible, terrible message: It's alright to use your cell phone in a movie theatre during a movie.

No. When I snap, it'll be over a cell phone. Likely in a movie theatre. Bill noticed this, too

I really found myself really rooting for Bill Murray when it got down to it. For the reasons I pointed out early in the night. The comedians get no respect.

I found myself wishing Paul Giamatti had gotten a nod for Best Actor for American Splendor.

The lady who won for Chernobyl Heart seemed almost despondent that she'd won.

I really want to see the Triplets of Belleville.

I didn't care for those MasterCard shows with the puppy. We're heartless monsters who manipulate your emotions with puppies by making it seem like we care if makes it home to its family.

Hosting the Oscars has to be the easiest gig in the world. You dress up. You do a 15 minute monolog, and about 12 more minutes combined over the course of the evening. I'll be it's an alright chunk of change, too. Good work, if you can get it.

Billy Crystal's getting old, too. But he's better than Whoopi Goldberg.

Yep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home