Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Last Comic Standing

Last Comic Standing

Given my ranting against reality TV lately, I should probably be a little ashamed to say I really enjoyed the first episode of the second season of Last Comic Standing last night.

A lot of good comedians made the cut. Tammy Pescatelli always makes me laugh. Kathleen Madigan and Louis Ramey, too. I'd heard Alonzo Bodden's comedy a little on the radio, and thought he wasn't quite my sense of humor, but his joke about white guys being breeders for white chicks made me laugh.

Another of the comics I recognized, but didn't know exactly why. His name was Monty Hoffman. I thought maybe I'd seen one of his performances, until the tone of voice he said something in reminded me who he was.

I saw one or two episodes of a show called "The Good Life," which ran for a while in the mid-90's. Monty Hoffman co-starred with John Caponera and Drew Carey. And the bit I remembered Monty Hoffman and Drew Carey having a race to a bathroom, with Drew Carey winning.

Monty Hoffman's character is trapped outside, really having to pee. He yells through the door "C'mon! Let me in! We can swordfight!"

It was the funniest thing I'd ever heard on TV.

(You had to be there, and be me, I guess).

Tonight's episode apparently is performance in front of comedian judges. I read a while back that Drew Carey and Brett Butler got pissed and walked off the project. They were mislead, they say. They were upset that their judgment was considered of lower priority than the show's producers, or that their judgment was only for show, when they went into the project thinking that their comic judgment was a big part of the choice of comics going on to the final round.

Anyway. I have Monty, Tammy Pescatelli and Ant, the gay comedian, going far in my office Last Comic Standing Pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home