Friday, June 04, 2004

Roommates

Roommates

The former roommate wandered out from his East TN hovel and stayed the night last night. He's here to see somebody off to Oklahoma

There were a couple of weird things from his visit.

Firstly, we lived together for a long time. In college and after. We generally knew most of everything going on in each other's lives. Just because that's the way things go.
As such, it just feels weird how when we see each other, we have to play "catch up" on each other's lives. I made the joke once that we're both static characters, and there never was much of a need for discussion on the topic of "What's going on." But still, it's weird to from seeing somebody every in a time frame somewhere around every few minutes, to seeing them every few weeks.

Secondly, he left this weird hamster creature in the bathroom when he left. Except it's not really a hamster. It's furry, and it's about hamster-sized. But it's got big bumblebee wings, and it's slowly puttering around the bathroom. I've closed the door, to keep it there. I checked in a minute ago, and it's eaten two of my towels.

Despite not having seen each other in a few weeks, we fell into the old cadences fairly easily. We've always been very much on the same humor wavelength. It's how we got along so easily.

We ate at the local wings and beer restaurant. Wandered out to a couple of other places in town. We also, watched Welcome to Mooseport, and the running commentary, we should put on tape.

His big suggestion for the movie? Ray Romano's character, Handy, should have cried more readily. Cried long and hard. Anytime something bad happens to him, from being punched in the shoulder to getting dumped by his girlfriend.

Like I said, we ended up watching Welcome to Mooseport, which I'd rented since I was off work last night.

On the movie itself, it's kinda funny, but also pretty formulaic. If you're charmed by Ray Romano's comedy, then this is the movie for you. Gene Hackman's pretty funny, and reminds me a lot of an extended family member or two. But mostly it's formulaic comedy about smalltown eccentrics for people who are threatened by the racy fare shown on Fox TV.

I will say the movie's helped a bunch by featuring Maura Tierney as Handy's girlfriend.

I likes me some Maura Tierney. Ever since Newsradio.

One more interesting point on the movie...it's about a political campaign between the former U.S. President and a local handyman for the office of Mayor, in the town of Mooseport, Maine. It was funny to see the traditional way of deciding which candidate would answer questions first in their debate...a friendly game of "rock, paper, scissors." I thought it was great how both characters ended up looking to other people, advisors and such, to help them decide which weapon to pull.

I kind of think that's how we should have decided that last Presidential Election. Just throw the whole electoral college out. Just let Bush and Gore, the two popular vote leaders, do Rock, Paper, Scissors. Best of Seven. I think that would get good ratings.

Yep. Trying to figure out what I'm doing this weekend. Moving out of this apartment at the end of this month. It's looking like I'm probably moving to East TN myself at the end of this month. I still haven't heard a positive respnose on a job transfer, and that bugs me. I was out of work too long last year to go through the bullshit of a job search again this year. But that's down the road.

Anyway. That's what goes on in my life this Friday morning. We anxiously await Mark Prior's start later today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home