Tuesday, July 20, 2004

TV Tuesday

TV Tuesday
 
TV Tuesday, because if I write about the Cubs, I get so damn mad....
 
Week 18 - Special Reports 
*beep* *beep* *beep*  We interrupt your normal TV viewing for this special report!!!    You guessed it, this week's topic, Special Report interruptions!  *grin*  
 
1.  On a whole do you feel most Special Reports are really that special?  Or are they simply annoying?  

 
We have entirely too much media coverage in this country, and in the constant search to have something...anything new to talk about, I think a lot of what's given "Special Report" status doesn't really warrant a special report...it's just something new to talk about.
 
This isn't the best example, but NBC put up the Special Report music and broke into commercials, and the Today Show, one of their own news shows, to announce a while back that John Kerry had tapped John "Smiling Mandroid" Edwards to be his running mate.  They broke into the commercials on their own TV show for a Special NBC report.
 
Because of 9/11, I do perk up and I do pay attention.  And then, I'm disappointed whenever it's something that didn't require that kind of in depth and immediate attention. 
 
2.  What special report has effected you most?  (IE:  (9/11, Reagan being shot...etc)
 
I guess it's hard not to say 9/11.  They also broke into baseball to tell us President Reagan had died a little while back.
 
3.  Do you stay tuned in for Special Reports or do you reach for the remote?
 
Eh.  I'll watch to make sure it's nothing terribly life threatening.
 
~Bonus~  Not exactly a special report but more on special coverage.  What are your thoughts on some of the "Special Coverage" spots that have hit TV lately?  One that comes to mind for me is the 24 hour a day coverage of Ronald Reagan's body laying in state at the White House.  Something we needed to see or just plain morbid?
 
Like I said, I think we've got more media and media outlets than there are actual events to be reported.  I think that's what the Reagan coverage and the like grow out of:  it's a need to talk about something different.  No...it's a need to talk about SOMETHING.  What with all this 24 hour news coverage, sometimes there's just not 24 hours worth of news to talk about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home