Wednesday, July 14, 2004

All Star Game Thoughts

All Star Game Thoughts

Went to my friend Steven's to watch the All Star Game last night.

A couple of thoughts:

1.) Once again, I lost my life's fortune betting on the National League. That's $14 that I'll never see again.

2.) The steps the starters had to take from the dugout roof to the field during the lineup introductions were a little scary.

That looked like a good way for a couple of freak injuries to take place. I mean, Sammy Sosa missed the 98 All Star game because he slept wrong on his shoulder, and a long time this season because he sneezed. Falling down stairs looks like it would be right up his alley. At one point, Jeff Kent whirled and waved to the crowd. He didn't get really close, but he took a step toward the edge of the dugout roof. That would have sucked, to have started the All Star game carting Jeff Kent off the field with a broken back, falling from the roof onto the railing below.

3.) Can we vote on All Star Announcers next year? I really don't like the Buck n' McCarver show. Joe Buck tends toward hyperbolic statements like "nobody outside of Texas had heard of Hank Blalock" referring to Blalock hitting the game winner last year. Screw you. Gimme some credit, willya?

And, yes Tim, we know you played Major League Ball, and that you made two All Star teams. Quit bringing it up.

Among national announcers, I'd take Jon Miller and Joe Morgan any day of the week over these guys.

As an addendum to this thought, these two pissed me off more than anybody as it concerned the whole Clemens/Piazza thing. What were they going to do? Instead of throwing the ball, Clemens just springs to home and tackles Piazza?

4.) David Ortiz is a hoss. I knew that already. I just thought I'd bring it up again. David Ortiz Smash! Because David Ortiz is the Strongest One There Is!

5.) Before Randy Johnson came into pitch, Fox flashed a little bio-graphic, and in the picture in the graphic, Randy was smiling. The Unit smiling is a lot creepier looking than I'd thought. If I were around him, I'd prefer him to keep glowering.

6.) How often do you think Muhammed Ali's family gets the shadowboxing routine that ARod and Jeter got last night?

7.) My favorite at bat? I enjoyed the Eric Gagne/Hideki Matsui at bat, if only because Gagne was just leaning back and bringing the heat. He was telling Matsui "Here it is. Hit it if you can."

8.) Lastly, the game finished up just in time for me to drive home in the middle of a quick but intense thunderstorm. Branches down, sheets of rain, high wind, the whole deal. And it lasted just as long as it took me to drive from Steven's house to mine. Pretty rough.

Ah well. Back to the grind. The Cubbies gotta get a reliever. And if they can get a shortstop to hit high in the lineup, that would be cool, too. Let's git 'er done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home