Sunday, October 31, 2004

Theater Thursday

Theater Thursday

Theater Thursday, because I'm sure that because of time zones, somewhere on this planet, even at 4:49 on a Sunday afternoon, it is Thursday somwhere. Probably in China.

Week 23 - Scary movies.
It's that scary time of year again. Halloween. With that in mind...

1) What's your favorite scary movie?


I'm not a super big horror movie person, but there are a couple I appreciate. Poltergeist still holds up, I think. I like The Ring. Stir of Echoes is one that doesn't get attention. I'll say that Stir of Echoes got under my skin a little more than any other scary-type movie, and it was going more for the suspenseful than the out and out scary.

But for my money, the single most scary moment in cinema history, the one that caused screaming, weeping and shitting in the pants is the Kathy Bates nude scene in About Schmidt.

2) Are you more into the lame scary movies that make you laugh, or the straight up - scare the bejesus out of you - scary movies?

I like a scary movie that's innovative, or at least trying to do something different. I'll settle for non-formulaic, even. Nothing makes a scary movie lame, in my mind, like doing the same thing over and over again.

3) Scary movies - best viewed alone? Or with a crowd?

It's a trade off. You see, I actually get very, very frightened by movies. Not just horror movies. Most movies. Action movies. Comedies. Cartoons. Each one is just a different page of the same nightmare, as far as I'm concerned.

At least when I'm watching with a group of people, I get distracted enough so as not to be continually weeping throughout the picture. However, I am generally unable to control my bladder, which constricts when I'm terrified. I am unable to hide the peeing of the pants. That tends to turn off any potential groups with whom I might watch movies.

BONUS) You've parked your behind on the couch for a marathon of scary movies. What 5 scary movies are on your list?

Poltergeist.
The Ring.
The Mummy (the 1939 version).
A twinbill of the Terror at 30,000 feet...both the original Twilight Zone Shatner version, and we'll watch the Twilight Zone movie, for the John Lithgow version.

And let's throw in the Day After, just for kicks. It's a TV movie, and it's a different kind of scary, but we'll throw it in for shits and giggles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home