Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Theater Thursday

Theater Thursday

Theater Thursday, because this one time a yellowjacket stung me in my ear. IN MY EAR!!!!

Tomorrow is Veterans Day. With that in mind, this weeks questions are all about movies involving the subject of war.

1) Which war movie is your favorite? (Nothing about war could be considered a 'favorite', but ya get my meaning.)


The original Star Wars Trilogy is about a war, right? The rebellion against the Empire?

Or are you talking about wars here on Earth?

I find myself watching Glory at least once a year. It's just a well put together flick. Two parties who don't respect each other taking up the cause together. Lots of good fighting. Morgan Freeman, classy guy. And then it ends on such a downer. Great flick.

Three Kings is technically a war movie. It's a great movie that just doesn't seem to get enough love. It'll get its due, in time. It's one of those movies that just sucks me in every time I see it.

I also liked The Last Samurai, which is a war movie of a sort. We Were Soldiers is great, too. Full Metal Jacket, you can't go wrong with. Braveheart!??!?!

Wow, for a guy who said to himself "I'm not a huge fan of the genre," I'm getting a whole list of them going in my head.

2) What movie about war do you consider to be 'unwatchable', poorly done, or of poor taste?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any war type flick that really pissed me off. Wow. BSTommy is learning stuff about himself today. Maybe I love war movies.

I think A Thin Red Line was a ridiculously long movie with terribly little to say.

Gods and Generals is patronizing and ridiculously long, but I didn't hate it, for some reason.

I've never seen Casualties of War. I think I'll hate it, just to have an answer. A war movie with Michael J. Fox. The very idea!

update What was that movie with Owen Wilson and Gene Hackman? Behind Enemy Lines, or something like that? I didn't like that one. Stupid and consdescening.

3) Which actor/actress gave the best performance as a soldier? What movie?

You can't beat R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket. But that one's too easy, since he's not really acting there. He's just doing what he always did.

BONUS) If there was a movie to be made about the current war in Iraq, who would you most like to see as the leading man/woman?

Dave Chappelle. That guy can make me laugh until I whiz my pants.

With Keira Knightley, and Natalie Portman, and Maura Tierney.

Happy Veterans day to all the Veterans out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home