Monday, December 13, 2004

A Music Thing

A Music Thing

I'm having a morning where writing for myself is tough. I can't even come up with anything to blog. Here now, a game:

1. Open up the music player on your computer.

2. Set it to play your entire music collection.

3. Hit the “shuffle” command.

4. Tell us the title of the next ten songs that show up (with their musicians), no matter how embarrassing. That’s right, no skipping that Carpenters tune that will totally destroy your hip credibility. It’s time for total musical honesty. Write it up in your blog or journal and link back to at least a couple of the other sites where you saw this.

5. If you get the same artist twice, you may skip the second (or third, or etc.) occurances. You don’t have to, but since randomness could mean you end up with a list of ten song with five artists, you can if you


Here goes, keeping in mind that I have no "hip credibility"--I'm a dork to my soul:

1. "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" (R.E.M.)

This is probably my favorite song on the Automatic for the People album. I like this line, for some reason:

Baby, the soup doesn't really grab me,
today I need something more sub-sub-substantial
A can of beans, or black-eyed peas,
Some Nescafe and ice....
A Candy Bar...
A falling Star...
or a reading from Dr. Seuss...

2. "If I Can Dream" (Mojo Nixon)

I've got most of this album on my "Writing Music" list, but I kept this one off. Listening to it, I think I made a mistake. I like Mojo's stuff for its energy and for the vigor and life he pours into his stuff. This one seemed a little slower, so I kept it off. But listening to it now, for the first time in a little while, I like it a lot....I like the statement at the end: "Okay...kill me now..."

3. "1969--We Came in Peace" (From the Independence Day Score)

Yeah, the movie's a guilty pleasure. But I like David Arnold's score. It's kinda cheesy, in that bad 50's SF movie way...which makes sense, since it's a bad 90's SF movie.

4. "Bat out of Hell" (Meat Loaf)

If #3 didn't qualify me as a dork, this one does. But I keep this one in the writing music queue, too. It's got an energy that doesn't let up for its duration (and it's like 9 minutes and change long). It's excessively grandiose, complete with a musical intro that last two minutes. There's nothing like heavy guitar and ten tons of passion thrown into a nickel's worth of lyrics.

I can't listen to the whole thing...I'd be here for a while....

5. "Seven Bridges Road" (Dolly Parton)

This one was on one of the CDs which came with one of Oxford American's music issue. I like this one better than the Eagles version, actually. It moves, boss! I think I'll have to find Dolly's album that this one's on. I like this one a lot, actually.

6. "Dickin' Around at Work" (Sean Morey, from Bob and Tom's "Gone Wild" CD)

I guess this appropriate. A song about procrastination.

I like this line:

Gotta put you on hold, sir. Your call's important to me...
It will be ignored in the order it was recieved

also:

I'm not apathetic, I just don't give a damn!

7. "The Battle of Stirling" (Braveheart Soundtrack)

One of the finest film scores ever, in my opinion

8. "The Foggy Dew" (The Chieftains, with Sinead O' Connor)

Probably my favorite song off The Long Black Veil album.

9. "Yesterday" (The Dillards)

The bluegrass group does the Beatles tune a capella. Good stuff.

10. "Feed My Frankenstein" (Alice Cooper)

Another I keep on the Writing Music queue, because it moves and keeps me moving while I write.

Well. There we go.

I'm actually kinda surprised none of the comedy tracks came up. I guess maybe the Bob and Tom/Sean Morey song counts, but none of the stand up came up. No Bill Cosby, or Henry Philips, or George Carlin. No Richard Pryor. No Stephen Lynch or Patton Oswalt.

There was no Monty Python. Huh.

Ah well. I've wasted enough time here....

Seen at Smoking Toaster

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home