Thursday, June 02, 2005

Willie and Bob

Willie and Bob

Well, just got back from Bellsouth Park down in Chattaboogie, were Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson played.

A rainy, rainy night. Took the ponchos. Kept dry. Dry-ish. Rained hard a good part of the night, through most of the concert.

Felt bad for whomever the Bellsouth Park groundskeeper is...the stage was set up in center field. The infield was left uncovered, soaking in the rain that fell all night.

Me personally? I got wet. But not to worry. There was beer, so I wasn't worried about the rain....though there was the uncomfortable moment where my future brother-in-law brought me a watery cup of Kool-Aid Miller Lite. I drank it. Politely and quietly. Went in search of proper beer later in the night....

I won't pick the concert itself apart too. A good show, on the whole, I thought.

The opening act was a nice folksy/bluegrassy group. Green River, I'm thinking they're called, but I'm more than likely mistaken. I could look at my ticket stub. But we all know I'm much too lazy to do something like that. I'm sitting down for God's sake.

Willie Nelson rocks. It pleases me more than I would have thought to see him live, finally. Helluva show. Willie tore it up. He did a couple of gospel numbers, which got a big reaction from the crowd..."I'll Fly Away" had the whole crowd singing along. Best crowd reaction of the night was when Willie started "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" just after the hardest downpour had subsided.

Willie Nelson was worth the price of admission.

Bob Dylan? Well, I can say that I've seen Bob Dylan live. I can't say much else. I'm sure there were people at the show who loved his set. Dylan's just never really been my cup of tea. I enjoyed what I saw. But I just didn't get much out of it.

That said, I found myself wishing Dylan had played first, and Willie'd played second. Given the venue and the type of stuff each played, I would have thought that a little more appropriate, Willie closing things out. But that's just me....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home