Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Few Sports Thoughts

A Few Sports Thoughts

-Congratulations to the Houston Ass Trolls. They went out and played a good game of the beisbol. A good mix of veterans and rookies. They didn't let that Pujols homer take them out of it. I'd said to someone: That Pujols Homer's the type of thing that would put the Cubs into a 3 game and out slump.

It leads to a good looking World Series, in my book. It looks like pitching's gonna rule the day.

-And I've said it before. Craig Biggio is probably my favorite player not playing for the Cubs. He's loyal to a team and a town. He'll play anywhere that's needed. He gets dirty while playing. I like watching him play.

-Nothing to do with the World Series, Leo Mazzone's going to the Orioles. For my money, he's at least half the reason Bobby Cox has been the success he's been down in Atlanta. Look at the guys Atlanta's brought in and made successes out of...and more importantly, look at the guys who did well in Atlanta, who left Atlanta to go somewhere else, and flamed out (or, at least, didn't perform nearly as well) under somebody else's watch.

-Joe Girardi's managing the Marlins. He's gonna be a good one. Sloth brought up the idea of Girardi managing the Cubs in Dusty's place the middle of this last season. I couldn't argue with the thought. He's one of those smart guys you wanted to have on your team. He was like having a second manager on the field in his playing career.

Moving away from the beisbol....

-I don't follow hockey so much, but Jeremy Roenick showed up this morning on SportCenter to continue bitching about the raw deal he and the other players got where it concerned the new agreement with the owners. Maybe it's just me, and I don't have that kind of gall, but if I'm getting paid six and seven digits to play a game...any game...I don't see where you have room to bitch about anything. Ever. Especially when I'm working five and six days a week, nine and ten hours a day to make SIGNIFICANTLY less than a guy who lucked into life's lottery.

Jeremy Roenick, and quite a few guys in all pro sports, I'm thinking, need a severe dose of reality.

-And don't get me started on the dress code in the NBA. I looked up the average NBA salary, thinking it was somewhere in the six digits. According to this page, it's 4.9 mil.

Guys. If you're average Joe Schmo in the NBA, call it earning your salary. You're not getting paid 5 mil just to play basketball. You're also getting paid to represent your teammates, your organization and your league.

Here's how I'm seeing it. You want to call it racist that David Stern's making you put your retro jerseys, headphones and bling up?

Fine. It's racist.

But you're getting paid 5 million a year. Suck it up, or get out.

Me? I won't make 5 million in my life. But I suck it up and wear a shirt and tie everyday.

Funny how that works.

Wear a suit. Make 5 mil. How do I sign up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home