Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Iron Horse

Iron Horse

This is post #2,131 of the Big Stupid Tommy Blog. Thusly, I pass Lou Gehrig's number of consecutive baseball games played.

But I've had a lot of re-runs. Lou Gehrig couldn't do that. Just say "We're playing the White Sox today, but I think I'll just play the same game I played this time last year...."

Or could he? I mean, every game is different, but every game is basically the same. Lou could have been playing the exact same game every day.

Maybe he could have been living the same day every day.

It would have been impossible for him not to play. It was just part of his routine to get up and play baseball. Even in the dead of winter, he's out there in two feet of snow playing baseball. Some manner of psychological compunction, where it might kill him not to play baseball.

Or maybe it was like in Groundhog Day. You know, he just keeps living the same day over and over again. Except he's playing baseball. And he doesn't break the cycle until he gets Andie McDowall.

Or Lou Gehrig's disease, which wasn't called that until he got it.

Maybe I need a disease named after me.

Don't know what that disease would entail exactly, but I damn betcha is makes you lethargic and gassy along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home