Sunday, February 05, 2006

Movie Thoughts

Movie Thoughts

Just a few random thoughts this Super Bowl Sunday.

Went Friday to see The Matador, which I liked. Not going to go insane over Pierce Brosnan's performance as assassin Julian Noble, but he seemed like he was having fun with a character who's the diametric opposite of a James Bond character. A good flick, altogether.

Hope Davis is very good. She needs to be in more movies. There's a bit, when Noble shows up at the home of Danny Wright (Greg Kinnear), in the middle of the night. Hope Davis, who plays his wife, "Bean," and in the space of one scene, goes from dismayed at having a visitor in the middle of the night to completely intrigued and entertained at the concept of having a hitman visit their home.

------

Also watched Stevie, the other night. Really excellent documentary. Didn't intend to watch the whole thing in one sitting, as I had to be in to work the next morning. But, sat, and watched the whole Stevie Fielding trainwreck. Stevie's a youth that the filmmaker (Steve James, who also made Hoop Dreams) counselled in a big brother capacity. James returns to see how Stevie's progressed, and in the process, Stevie is accused of molestation of a relative. The documentary turns into an examination of how the legal system short changes those who may not completely understand their circumstances...not in malice, but rather due to lack of time and resources.

I recommend it, if you haven't seen it. It's a good watch.

Something funny, though. I'd gotten the movie from the nice folks at Netflix, and after I've turned the movie off, I'm flipping through the channels before I go to sleep, what do I find on Independent Film Channel, but the very same documentary?

-----

Speaking of Independent Film Channel, they've been running a short now and again that's a parody of Ocean's Eleven...it's about neighborhood kids planning a heist at the local candy shop. I never can remember the name of it, but I've watched it twice now. Good stuff.

-----

Glory's one of those movies that I'll watch if I'm flipping by it, and find it on TV. It's on History Channel this morning. I couldn't bring myself to watch 83 hours of Super Bowl coverage leading up to tonights game. Glory's a fine flick to pass a bit of time.

Still one of my favorite scores to a movie, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home