Sunday, March 05, 2006

More Thoughts on the Oscars

More Thoughts on the Oscars

I don't want to turn this into a live-blogging or anything, but a couple more thoughts:

Funny tonight:

I liked the opening, with Steve Martin and his kids; with David Letterman and Steve Martin's kids (the dog was wearing a silver wig, too). I really liked the bit with Mel Gibson--he's got a lot of the Tom Hanks thing going on. Gibson's good physically as a comedian, too, but he doesn't do much comedy at all.

Ben Stiller inhabits that strange and indefinable borderland between funny and not funny, for me. He tries so hard, and I think that's half the problem. He made me smile tonight.

Steve Carrell and Will Ferrell, also good.

In fact, I think the weakest link so far tonight has been Jon Stewart, who's seemed uncomfortable and out of place (although that bit about Hollywood and L.A. being a moral-free hellhole, and the bumper speech about Scientology both got me to smile.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home