Sunday, February 04, 2007

Chapter 2467: In which I inhabit a post with bullet points

Chapter 2467: In which I inhabit a post with bullet points


  • So. There's some kind of football game tonight, huh? Can I use this forum to once again voice my disapproval of the two week break between the Conference Championships and the Super Bowl? In this age of parity, we often seem to get one or two teams in the game that nobody gives a crap about one way or the other, and at the end of the two-week break, whatever fervor has been built around these teams nobody cares about has died, and people are more interested in the commercials than the game itself.

  • I once again voice my desire that if the NFL insists on the two week break, why not move the Pro Bowl to the Sunday after the Conference Championship, and let the players from the 2 Super Bowl teams be exempt from appearing? Nobody cares about the Pro Bowl anyway. Let's get it to a point where people care about it.

  • I waffle between the Bears and Colts, as for who I root for. Mostly because I have that aforementioned lack of strong feeling one way or the other. I think I'll root for the Bears. No real reason, except for an anti-Peyton bias. He went to school up in Knoxville, and people just can't get over that man-crush. Is it not enough to have every other fourth and fifth grader named "Peyton?"

  • Speaking of Knoxville. To anybody shopping at Borders, World Market, Target, Best Buy or McKay's Used Book Store this past Friday who smelled something particularly garlicky? I apologize. That was me. There was a lot of garlic used in a repast I prepared for myself, mostly for taste, but also to repel vampires and mosquitoes. Unfortunately, some of the garlic left my person via perspiration. I didn't realize this until I was picking up clothes to do laundry, and got a whiff of the garlic from a shirt I hadn't even been wearing when I ate the other day. I must have been a pleasant sumbitch to be around.

  • Guess who did his taxes this weekend, and came out smelling like a rose? A garlicky rose, to be sure. The refund will mostly go toward paying off the truck. Don't much care for debt nowadays.

  • Got a kick out of this site, Letters to Christopher Walken. Saw it over at It Comes in Pints. I still believe that one of the scariest things you could ever wake up to is Christopher Walken perched at the head of your bed, like a raven, or perhaps the world's scariest spider monkey, staring down at you. Maybe he'd ask "Where's My Oatmeal?"

  • I'd forgotten where I got this image, until I ran across The Prophecy on teevee a while back. Walken's a perching sumbitch in that flick. Also, when he plays Gabriel's trumpet, and the windows of the school blow out? That's in my top 83 funniest moments in moviedom.

  • When I looked up that link, I had one of those age moments. The Prophecy came out 12 fraggin' years ago? I'd have guessed eight, at the very most. But then, I remember first watching it at Gracy Hall, and that would have been either my first or second year of college. Every now and then, I gotta remind myself, "Dude, you're within grabbing distance of 30...."

  • Yeah. I turn 30 in 16 days. I tell myself it's not a big deal--my friends and family have made a bigger deal about it than I have. Still, there are moments, like the one agove, and one other. The big issue comes at work, where I work with people who, now officially, were born after the start of the first Gulf War. I begin to notice my age when the things above happen, or when I make a cultural reference at work, and the response comes that the people I was talking to were FOUR when Beavis and Butthead came out. That tends to skew your perspective a little as it comes to personal age. Beyond that, I'm very cool with 30.

  • I say I'm cool with it. But still, we are rapidly spiralling toward February 20. Mark that one down, just in case my experiment in self-delusion doesn't pan out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home