Sunday, July 01, 2007

An Admission

An Admission

It's easy to look back, some 20 years or so after the fact, and see that the whole shebang was little more than the world's most overblown toy commercial.

And in that time, I've not only seen that the whole Transformers mythos was derived from so many different sources, I've also taken the time to disect those things they were derived from, and the sources those things were derived from, as well.

That said, I want to say that there weren't many fictional characters I more admired in my childhood than Optimus Prime.

But that's not the admission, Hulkamaniacs.

The admission is this:

If I were to take the time to list all the people, real or imagined, who upheld the ideals that I wish that I could uphold myself on a consistent basis, Optimus Prime would find his way to the top of that list.

As crazy as it sounds, there is still a part of me that looks at Optimus Prime very much as a role model.

Don't Blame Me, I Voted for Prime

I'm oddly excited about the Transformers movie. My overbrain is pessimistic, as it seems to be about a lot of things in life, lately. But in the Thesaurus-That-Is-My-Personal-Lexicon, under synonyms for Michael Bay, you'd find "barely coherent shit." And I say that as the guy who can often find something good in the most ridiculous shit ever put to culluloid (or digital media, what have you...)

But the kid in me would punch a puppy to hear Peter Cullen's Optimus Prime speak one more time.

That alone is enough.

Thanks, and good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home