Friday, October 12, 2007

The Playoff Beisbol

The Playoff Beisbol

You know, I was (am) ambivalent towards TBS's playoff coverage. There are little things that bug me about their coverage--too many crowd shots, announcers with little chemistry, too many swooshes, dings and bells and whistles (I don't think we'll get away from it, anywhere...).

But on the whole, I liked their coverage. I especially liked their starting games at a decent hour, keeping the busy schedules of sunsabitches like Big Stupid Tommy a little more able to catch an entire ballgame. It's amazing what a 7:30 start time will do for you compared to an 8:30 start. A couple years ago, I might have bitched about throwing a bone to a station like TBS...but since they seemed a little more willing to cater to an East Coast audience, I'll shut the hell up. Don't know if it's because their advertising revenue isn't as tied to Prime Time audiences as are the networks, or if somebody actually paid attention to the fact that 70% of the population lives in the Eastern and Central Time Zones, and have to get their asses up at the asscrack of dawn to go to work.

Plus, there was one intangible that I hadn't considerd.

While there may have been chemistry lapses in some announcing crews, not a one of the TBS announcing crews was handicapped like Fox is.

Because Fox continues to have Tim McCarver in their employ.

I came home, and Tim McCarver was explaining that the pitcher is 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate.

He did this right before he reminded me to breathe.

Thanks, Tim. 'preciate it.

Who'da thunk I'd be praying for Rick Sutcliffe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home