Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sunday Mornings...

Sunday Mornings...

I sit here this Sunday, watching the rain fall outside. It's my last day of vacation, and I'll be thankful that I had nine days of sun and warm weather. And there were, initially, plans to head over to historic South Pittsburg, Tennessee to partake of the International Cornbread Festival...and while I was right on the verge of ecstacy at the thought of driving 75 minutes for a corndog and a funnel cake, I think I'll be alright to while my last day of vacation in relative quiet. Maybe I'll catch a movie...

Wandered up above Knoxville last night for my first Tennessee Smokies game of the year. I was really pleased last year when the Cubs joined up with them to make them a minor league affiliate. Sadly, I only made a couple games all last season. Work schedule and real life being what they are, I've already hit a couple games in Chattanooga and this one in Kodak. Wanted to use this vacation to try and get out and do a few of the social things I feel like I put off from time to time.

Cool at the game? The Smokies had Old Style on tap. My couple of previous experiences had been less than pleasant, but the novelty of it led me to grab the first I'd ever had on draft. Not a bad beer. Had a couple more during my time at the game.

As for the game itself? The smokies played the Diamond Jaxx, now the AA affiliate of the Mariners. Sat a couple rows behind the visiting dugout, and got to hear Phil Plantier credit his continuing good looks to lots of beer and standing out in the sun. Donnie Veal pitched shutout ball, but the Smokies bullpen gave up seven between the eighth and ninth innings, and lost it 7-2.

Hit a Starbucks after the game, and learned that the barista...brace yourself...have heard the "I want my coffee as black as my soul" line once or twice before....still, she seemed to like the line "strong enough to best me in an arm wrestling match." I couldn't find a hint of spit in my coffee afterwards, so it seemed all to the good.

Ah well. Y'all take her easy. We'll holler at you tomorrow, when I'm a little more mopey about having to return to work...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home