Saturday, November 08, 2008

Alphabetical Favorites....

Alphabetical Favorites...

Got this one from Sheila...

Ended up thinking on this one most of the night. Had a twofold problem. First, certain letters were clogged with favorites...B, C and S were all troublesome for having so many choices. Other letters, I had trouble coming up with movies I liked...X and Z had movies...Q? I can only think of three movies I've seen that started with Q (Quo Vadis, Quills and the Quick and the Dead...I've got a favorite of those, but I'm not sure I'll ever sit to watch any of the three again....)....

But, anyway....

Arsenic and Old Lace
Big Lebowski
Christmas Story
Day the Earth Stood Still
Empire Strikes Back
Field of Dreams
Ghostbusters
Harvey
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Jurassic Park
Kill Bill, volume 1
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
No Country for Old Men
O Brother Where Art Thou?
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Quick and the Dead
Rashomon
Shawshank Redemption
Tombstone
UHF
Vertigo
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
X-Men 2
Young Frankenstein
Zero Effect

A few notes...

B was really crowded....Batman Begins pops to mind, as does Bridge on the River Kwai, but the real trouble was deciding between Blazing Saddles and Big Lebowski, both of which are up high on my list. At the end of the day, Saddles is a great, silly movie...something that doesn't get nearly enough credit to my mind. But, The Big Lebowski leaves me in a better place philosophically, any time I see it...so, it gets the nod.

C was also crowded, and I very nearly put Kevin Smith's Clerks at the top of the list....but I've realized that A Christmas Story has crept to the top of my favorite movies list....



D was another...Dark Knight's way up on my list, right now, and Dr. Strangelove is another all-time favorite (I'm getting the feeling that if I actually tried to make a Top 100 list, I'd end up with 339 movies...). I thought about trying to be funny and put Disorderlies right here...

F....Field of Dreams just barely beats Fargo...Fargo would have made 4 Coen movies in my Alphabetical list....But Field of Dreams is another one of those that puts me in a better place philosophically....

I....Indiana Jones just beat Iron Giant right here. The Incredibles is another good one....

J....Jurassic Park's a cool movie. It just didn't have a lot of competition in its category.

L....Of the three Lord of the Rings movies, I've watched this one the most. Just missing the cut: Last Picture Show

M....Sometimes I forget just how much I like Holy Grail. I hadn't watched it for probably 5 years before I saw it again on the big screen last spring, at which time I was still able to quote it line for line....The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is just behind Holy Grail, as is Monty Python's The Meaning of Life

P....I had Pulp Fiction down right here, but changed it at the last minute. Mostly for this scene, which I believe to be maybe My Favorite funny scene ever...



Q...yeah. Not even Sam Raimi's best.

R...This one was a coinflip. I went with Rashomon because I had Last Crusade under "I," but Raiders of the Lost Ark is an all time great....Rear Window also just missed....Disney's Robin Hood also got some thought....

S...was really, really crowded. Since i had Empire Strikes Back on the list, I went ahead and put Shawshank, which I've probably watched more since it was released than any other flick....other contenders: Superman 2, Star Trek: the Wrath of Khan and Super Troopers, which received a minute's worth of consideration....

T...Tombstone made it so that Val Kilmer can never do any wrong in my eyes ever again...

U....UHF is just a silly masterpiece. I love it. Don't get me wrong...Usual Suspects is a great flick, and I give it all the credit for giving me the biggest okeydoke I ever got...I love it when a flick makes me swing so badly on a curveball...but UHF just keeps blowing one gag after the next right at you with an amazing amount of energy...it's just so underrated....Unbreakable also gets a little consideration...I know a lot of people shit on Shymalan, but this one's going to go down as his best, and a classic.

Now that I think of it...comedy is just a series of okeydokes....



Followed quickly by:



W...Willie Wonka just beat Wizard of Oz. Barely.

Y...I had Yojimbo down, but dammit Young Frankenstein is just so great....

Z...Zero Effect is another extremely underrated one....Bill Pullman doesn't do enough comedy to get credit for being the terrific physical comedian he is...it's all about timing, and his is second to none....

If you play along, drop me a note in comments....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home